From:
"Mary E. Copeland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 15:19:34 -0400
> Similarly, food companies, after much testing, use an
>amount of sugar that maximizes sales, not health.  Sugar conspiracy
theory?

I know this was posted a week ago, but I'm just getting caught up.  I
raised my kids in the 70's, when good, enlightened parents did not give
their kids sugar or other refined starches (ala, Adele Davis, Prevention
and others).  But it's not a message that anyone wanted to hear.  I
remember how excited I was to learn in the 80's that sugar was not the
culprit at all, but fat.  They said I could eat all the sugar I wanted, as
long as it was low-fat.  Then we all bemoaned the lack of low-fat
convenience and restaurant foods and blamed it on a conspiracy of the food
manufacturers to keep us fat.  Well, 30 lbs. and 20 years later, I finally
got back to the 70's and low-carb.  Rather than a conspiracy, I'm firmly
convinced that they just give us what we want and tell us what we want to
hear.  (And when they tell us what we don't want to hear, we don't listen.)
Like everyone has said, the dangers of sugar and refined carbohydrates have
been known for decades.  But we don't want to hear it.

Mary Copeland