From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:12:19 -0500
Hi Darrell.

If they collect information about your disability and store it with the
medical records that they keep on their other clients, they would in all
likelihood consider the data on your disability as protected health
information.  Rather than try to sort out whose information should be
protected, and whose should not, most organizations that collect
information of this information do the HIPAA documentation for everyone
that they serve, because there are very substantial penalties for failing
to do so, and nobody in a agency that uses protected health information is
going to chance that.  It is the same thing in the place where I work.  If
I train someone on the use of JAWS, whether I see an eye report or not, I
must give them our notice of privacy practices, and I must ask them to sign
a document verifying that they received the information.  Otherwise, I am
in non-compliance and can be severely fined, and would in all likelihood be
fired.

The problem is that health care organizations have abused information that
should have been kept confidential in the past, prompting Congress to write
legislation to more closely regulate the health care industry, and like so
many things, when the government feels that they must regulate, they often
resort to very stringent measures to do so.  Don't blame Handi-Hams--they
are only following the law.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 10:24 PM 1/15/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Lou,
>
>Yeah.  Aware of HIPAA.  But, if I join Handiham, I am not a patient of a
>healthcare facility.  I really don't quite see how HIPAA requirements would
>apply, and, besides, this doesn't directly relate to the requirements for
>verifying disability.

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]