From:
Howard Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 14:42:52 -0600
We have already established the precedent because if manuals are useful or
not with out owning the equipment, is not an issue of the copyright.
We are already down that slippery slope.  Bookshare does make sense for a
lot of reasons, since the issue of access if for persons who are reading
disabled, and therefore meet the needs of NLS Services.  Since the Exams
are U.S. exams, no international problem.  I do think that the producers of
materials need to know that if they do not prioritize creating materials in
accessible format, it will be done anyway, because people have no reason to
expect to tolerate being excluded.  On the Eve of Dr. King day, it is
important to remember the price of freedom and equality.  When it is not
given, it must be taken.