Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jun 2005 09:13:16 -0400
Paul,

I use  a Heil Proset Plus on the pc with no problem for the little bit I
get on Echo link or  the few times I record .wav files  for dvk on HF
 The Proset has a 1/8 mic plug so it needs no adapter.

You should increase gain on the sound card.  Heil  claims they build their
mics down several db's compared to  others to avoid picking up room noise.
Even on HF  they suggest  increasing gain by several db's.   I forget the
number but you can  find it at heilsound.com   If your soundcard offers a 20
db mic boost under the  advanced button on the mic settings, check that box.
Not all sound cards offer this.

There were some posts on the writelog reflector a few years ago about this
subject.   A few guys wound up building external preamps to get enough
boost. Others  found it worked just  fine by increasing  mic gain or adding
the 20 db  boost.

73 Steve KW3A