From:
Pamela L Donner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela L Donner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:09:14 -0500

Hello again all,

Now on to the fun part of the trip report!  I had so many lovely meals and
all the places we went were very accomadating of my special requests. Here
is a quick list of where we dined:

Pacific's Egde, just south of Carmel:  This is a very high end restaurant.
 I mentioned my gluten free needs when making the reservation and did not
have to do anything else.  The server said that I could order anything and
the chef would make any neccessary changes or substitutions.  Wonderful
meal (and great view of the sunset!).

Abalonetti's on Fisherman's wharf Monterey:  lunch stop, did not call
ahead.  I showed my card to the server and she took it back to the
kitchen.  The manager came to talk to me.... I had simply sauteed fish and
veggies, they were afraid to serve me the rice becuase they were unsure of
the broth/base ingredients.

Passionfish in Pacific Grove: I mentioned my gluten free needs when making
the reservation and did not have a problem.

Portella (sp?), the restaurant (not cafeteria) at the Monterey Aquarium:
The reservation I made was just to an answering machine and I did mention
the gluten free thing.  When we arrived at the Aquarium (10am), I stopped
over to the restaurant and have the host my full page of info on Gluten
Free Dining.  When we sat down to eat later, the server brought me a
special menu that the chef had marked up with notes for me.  He had a few
recomendations, but the server said I could pick anything and the chef
would make it gluten free for me!  I had a lovely seafood salad.

The Mission Ranch Dining Room (no, we did not see Clint Eastwood!).  They
do not take reservations, so I just handed my card to the server.  He took
it to the kitchen and brought it back and said no problem..... I was
nervous because my fish came with a tomato sauce and rice pilaf... but I
ate in and was fine!

Rustica Cafe in Carmel Valley Village:  no reservation... handed my card
to the server and explained a bit about cross contamination.  They took it
very seriously.  I ordered an artichoke appitizer that is normally
grilled, but they steamed it instead, because of possible cross
contamination.

ps When we eat out I always have my small gf info card and also a full
page of information for restaurants, just in case.  I also have some GF
crackers in my purse so I don't feel cheated when my husband dives for the
bread basket.  When we travel, I take frozen individually wrapped slices
of my homemade banana bread along for my breakfasts.  And I take the
individual packages of Amy's Low Fat Balsamic Vinegrette.  I also have a
GF bar or snack of some sort in my purse, just in case.

I also want to thank those who sent me recommendations.  Unfortunately we
did not dine at any of these, but I wanted to pass the info on to others:
Blue Moon in Monterey
Fandango and Peppers in Pacific Grove
Roys in Pebble Beach

Thanks,