From:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:02:58 -0500

Book Description: The definitive guide to the gluten-free
lifestyle, completely revised and updated for the 2.2
million Americans with celiac disease.....Since this book
was first published in 1995 (as Against the Grain), Jax
Peters Lowell has been helping celiacs follow a
gluten-free diet with creativity, resourcefulness, and
humor.

-----------------------------------

You may want to check some of the other facts in her book
for accuracy.

-----------------------------------

There are numerous errors in the book, plus a lot of bad
advice (like eating the insides from a sandwich or cheese
off a cracker). All reviews critical of the book on Amazon
have been mysteriously disappearing or have been edited in
some way (not by the poster of the review).

-----------------------------------
The Gluten Free Bible is terrible.  There are even worse
statements at the Delphi Forums board and at the
amazon.com customer review section.  Here's what I posted
about it at celiac.com:

There have been rantings at Delphi on the inaccuracy of
the book. First, Jax doesn't research carefully: she says
that Cheetos and Tootsie Rolls aren't gf--they both are.
She has so many inaccuracies, suggesting that you eat
something just so you don't offend your host, regardless
of whether it contains gluten and suggesting that you take
the wheat communion, hold onto it, and later feed it to
the birds. She is more aware of contamination in this book
than in the last, but I still wouldn't trust the book
farther than I can throw it . She still mentions removing
the contents of a "normal" sandwich and putting it between
two slices of gluten free bread and eating it -- if you
are not "too sensitive."

-----------------------------------

...the review section at Amazon... basically a war between
the newbies who like the writing style and assume the
info. is correct and the old-timers who are warring
against it:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/080...3353027-3899013

To those who want more validation, either read the reviews
from the link above or:
1) Go to the web site,
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start
2) Click on "messages" or "start reading"
3) Go to the general discussion folder. There should be a
topic called something like "Gluten-Free Bible not so
great" or "Gluten-Free Bible Review."  If you do not see
it, make a post and someone will link you to it.

-----------------------------------

My Amazon review (posted today): Most of the people who
gave shining, sparkly reviews of this book focus on how it
made them feel. It is not boring. Jax is a talented
writer, I'll give her that. But when I read on page 394
that the perscription drugs I was on and had been on for 5
years (both Pfizer drugs) were not GF I was seriously
troubled.

Many follow-ups with both Pfizer and online support groups
have indicated just how full of erroneous information this
book is.

I went off my meds immediately thinking I was injesting
gluten. I suffered the undue consequences of going off
"cold turkey" when I needed to taper off. In actuality
those meds ARE GF, and always were!!!

If you want the facts (as boring as they are) -- dont rely
on this book. If you want some comfort and laughs then
give it a read, but be sure to take any factual
information with a grain of salt, as they say.

Jax was indeed very lax when writing this book.

Megan Tichy