From:
Lacustral <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lacustral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 05:53:15 -0400

Somebody went me more info on why celiac would cause fructose intolerance

hi,  you may find some interesting information at celiac.com--the transcript
of Dr. Fine's speech (pub. last spring, '04).  The title
was "Before the Villi Are Gone," I believe.  There is discussion on the
resulting damage of  villi and why different parts of the villi
absorb different "cose" substances.  When there is damage to the ends of the
villi it results in dairy, or lactose intolerance.  Damage
further down the villi, where other "cose" substances are processed results
in fructose and sugar intolerances.
best to you and yours--lanette:)

Fructose intolerance probably doesn't last that long when you start eating
a diet you aren't allergic to, the villi probably heal from this pretty
quickly.  i've been gluten-free for two years and I still seem to be
fructose intolerant - but I was eating many MANY foods i had developed
intolerances to - that apparently damages villi too.

The research on fructose and depression applies (mainly?) to women, it's
apparently women who get depressed when they're malabsorbing fructose.

The fructose intolerance sheds light on a gluten-depression connection.
Many say that they are less depressed on a gluten free diet.  But
a research study i saw didn't find any effect of being gluten free on
depression, although it helped with anxiety.

That was how it was for me, i was vastly less anxious when i went gluten
free, but still depressed - until I started eating much less fructose, I
used to use it as a sweetener a lot.

If gluten is connected to depression through fructose intolerance, and
it's mostly women who are affected, that would explain why some people
experience a strong effect on depression, but it doesn't show up on
average in research.

laura