From:
"Stump, Marion" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stump, Marion
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 23:29:38 -0500

I had an overwhelming response to my question.  My thanks to everyone that took
the time to send me an answer.  You are all so thoughtful and helpful.  Below
are the responses I received.

Someone recommended the Rosedale diet to me. Just read the book. It looks really
easy to convert to GF (and casein free).

The Fat Flush Plan  by Ann Louise Gittleman is definitely gluten free. I do her
2 week fat flush fast every change of season. I drop a few pounds and feel so
well afterwards.

I hate to sound negative, but most of these weight loss plans are useless.
Eat fewer calories (and concentrate on whole foods, less sugar, a balance
of complex carbs and protein, stay away from the low-fiber high-sugar gf
baked goods, etc.), exercise more, sleep more (there's recent research that
suggests that sleeping less than 7 hours a night increases the likelihood
of being overweight). It's slow, but it works, and in the long run will
keep your weight and temperament more stable than any of these fad diets.

All my products are gluten and wheat free, as well as low carb. I have had many
people achieve great success with out products concerning both aspects. I have a
nurse who has celiacs and lost 108 pounds eating my meals, pizza and crisps.
Visit my website at www.carbsaweigh.com <www.carbsaweigh.com> , and see if you
see anything interesting.

South Beach is very adaptable to a gluten-free diet. My doctor has urged me to
eliminate sugars and foods that convert sugar and yeast (white potatoes, white
rice, mushrooms, vinegar, etc.) as well as gluten, so that makes my diet pretty
much South Beach except I am not supposed to eat dairy either. I confess gluten
was easy compared to giving up sugar and yeast producing foods at first. I have
lost 32 lbs in a year by doing this. I don't limit my calories or anything like
that ... I can lose more I am sure by adhering strictly to the plan, but I am
very pleased.
There are many good ways for one with CD to lose weight. I don't think I'd go
with any one "plan" that is out there, but try to do it on your own as a change
in eating patterns. Usually when you go with one diet and then go off, the
weight comes back.
I have CD and eating chicken, turkey, and fish are simple to prepare in many
different styles. I try to avoid red meat because it is harder to digest for
most. All GF grains are good for their fiber content (avoid all white grains,
i.e., white rice). Any veggies you want to stir-fry, steam, bake, or grill are
fantastic and high in vitamins and fiber. Fruits are also good, especially when
eaten as a snack between meals. For weight loss, limit to 2-3 fruits per day and
increase veggies. Nuts, seeds, yogurt, and fruit all make great snacks.
Things to avoid are fast food (salads are higher in fat, calories, and sodium
than burgers at most chains), high-fat dairy and soy products, starchy foods
such as bread (but then there aren't too many good GF breads out there anyway),
pastas, and potatoes. These can be eaten in small quantities, but try not to
make an entire meal out of them.
As long as you watch your portion size, try to eat 3 smaller meals per day with
a couple snacks so you don't get too hungry in between, try not to eat after 7
pm, get on a regular exercise program, and drink lots of filtered water, you
will be losing weight without even trying. Just remember if you do eat more food
or more calories, you need to burn more calories to break even and to not store
fat.

Original Question:

Any idea's on a good weight loss plan for someone with celiac disease.  Has
anyone tried the South Beach, Weight Watchers??  Are they adaptable to a GF
diet????

Thanks for any inputs/ideas :)
Marion