From:
davemarc <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 15 May 2005 20:28:19 -0400

Having detailed the answers I got to my inquiry, I'd like to share my own
experience: I have been eating sushi for many years, including the
seven-or-so years since I was diagnosed with celiac disease. I tend to eat
sushi made with avocado, cucumber, mackerel, salmon, tuna, shrimp,
scallions, and sesame seeds. I also eat the pickled ginger and, sometimes,
the wasabi. I used to bring my own gf soy sauce but now I usually do
without. I enjoy drinking a little sake with my sushi--lately, I've been
experimenting with cold, dry sakes. I also order sushi with an edamame
appetizer. (Edamame are salted, boiled soybeans in the pod.) As far as I
know, I have never suffered ill effects from eating the uncooked
ingredients.

I have my blood tested more than once a year; only once in seven years have
I gotten a positive result, which I attribute to trying one loaf of DeLand's
bread. For years prior to that test, I was eating tiny amounts of tobiko,
but apparently I did not eat it in quantities sufficient to produce positive
blood tests. When I read last year that tobiko contained soy sauce, I
confirmed the information and stopped eating sushi that was made with it.

I enjoy sushi and also find it very convenient to find in many North
Americas cities. In New York City, I can pretty much dine out on sushi
anywhere, including areas frequented by tourists and businesspeople. Should
I discover that sushi in general or any particular item is dangerous, I will
have to summon the willpower to do what I did with eel, artificial crab, and
tobiko--exclude them from my diet. In the meantime, I will continue to be
open to reasons not to order sushi and its accompaniments and I will pursue
some inquiries myself. (I'm currently looking into the preparation of
mackerel, which I've learned is marinated.) In the meantime, I will view
many sushi dishes as enjoyable components of my gluten-free diet.

END OF PART 3 OF 3