From:
davemarc <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 15 May 2005 14:19:00 -0400

Now, on with the responses. Thanks to everyone who wrote!

Beatrice and Cindy were encouraging--Beatrice wrote that she misses sushi
and Cindy wrote, "I'm interested in what you learn. I agree that this
doesn't make sense and it's so healthy I'm not giving it up without proof."
In contrast, Paula wrote, "I don't much about sushi but given that celiacs
do not have an ideal intestinal environment, I don't think I would eat
anything raw that could cause a bacterial problem!"

Regarding wasabi, Tracey said that the spice company Penzeys "has what
appears to be a gluten-free wasabi.  The ingredient list says: horseradish,
mu[s]tard, tapioca starch, and wasabi." She wrote, "Penzey's says they have
a 100% disclosure policy, and if wheat/gluten is in a product, it's listed
on the product's ingredient list.  Check the list serv archives for Penzey's
and you can see a response from Penzey's."

Dottie attested to the gf status of at least one of rice vinegar: "Nakano
seasoned rice vinegar(they have 4 different flavors) are all gluten free. I
am very sensitive and have used these for years."

Regarding ginger, wasabi, and rice vinegar, Richard wrote, "I agree with you
on the ginger and actually have NEVER found a wasabi with gluten."

However, Richard added, "I cannot name a brand but have indeed heard of rice
vinegar being a potential problem because of barley, not wheat. HOWEVER, if
people are going to sound warnings, they DO need to name brands."

Regarding rice vinegar, Mireille warned, "For the rice vinegars, there are
quite a few not GF. I have enquired among many companies, and Manukan is not
GF, as they add a mash with gluten.  There is an other brand non GF, that I
cant remember the name right now unfortunately."

Yet I found encouraging news on the Manukan front. Mireille noted that she
"had posted about them in this Listserv, and at the Delphi CD Support Group
Forun too: http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start" When I looked up
rice vinegar at the Delphi Forum, I found a post from February 20 that
included this note:
"I am very sorry for the incorrect information given to Ms. Mireille. I
stand corrected that our vinegar products do not contain wheat or gluten.
is manufactured.
"Once again, I apologize for the misinformation and inconvenience this has
caused. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
"Sincerely,
Aileen Oyama
Customer Service
Marukan Vinegar (U.S.A.) Inc.
13906 Bettencourt St.
Cerritos, CA 90703
Tel: (562) 229-1000, ext.104
Fax: (562) 229-1107"
Regarding rice wine (known as "sake" and pronounced SAH-kee or SAH-kay), I
do not recall receiving any responses. However, back in March I contacted
John Gauntner, a leading expert on sake. He wrote "I can say this: barley is
not at all used in sake. Two, Yeast generally comes from pure sources, i.e.
cultivated in a lab. The added alcohol, while distilled and pure, might come
from any one of several sources." I understood this as indicating that a
typical sake would be gluten-free.
END OF PART 2 OF 3