From:
Amy Ledford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2005 15:17:56 -0700
The drive is definitely a DVD drive. It has DVD rom on the face of it, and more importantly, shows in device manager as a DVD drive. I believe it to be a generic drive, because it shows as "IDE DVD-ROM 16X." As to why no other upgrades were performed, one can only guess. My church retired this system, which is how I ended up with it. I know for a fact that the drive was never used as a DVD drive; there was simply no need for it. I am thinking that most likely, it was a spare drive, that one of the members had, because they had upgraded their system. Do you believe that the processor is simply too slow for the drive to function as a DVD drive? (It works fine as a CD drive.) And, if so, is the processor also too slow to support a CD burner?
Thanks again,
Amy Ledford

David Gillett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On 6 Aug 2005 at 19:25, Amy Ledford wrote:

> .... The PC is a very old Windows 98SE machine, made by Gateway2000,
> before they started calling it Gateway. It has only a 2G HDD, and 48MB
> of RAM, with a 133Mhz processor, which I believe is the original
> Pentium. It has only 2 drives, the 3 1/2 Floppy, and the DVD-Rom.

> .... I do not believe the drive was ever used as a DVD drive, but only
> as a CD drive.

Leaving aside, for the moment, whether this is enough RAM and a fast
enough CPU to play DVDs, it would be kind of strange to replace the CD-ROM
drive originally provided with the machine with a DVD drive without
performing other upgrades as well.
Does the Device Manager (tab within the System control panel applet) show
the make and model of this drive? I'm strongly suspecting that this is not
a DVD drive at all, just a CD-ROM drive.

David Gillett

visit our download web page at:
http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml