From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 07:09:54 -0700
I would also add that even in perfect conditions, a "56K" modem will never
get 56K in the US. The FCC limits the amount of power that the modem can
place on the telephone line (for compatibility with existing equipment), so
that the best you can hope for is about 52K. While the technology is
therefore capable of 56K in theory, in practice in the US it ain't gonna
happen, so 49K is doing darn good.

Until I got DSL, the best I could get with a 56K modem was about 26K,
pathetic. If DSL or cable is available in your area, you might consider
this, prices have come down significantly in many markets. In my area I can
get DSL for $14.95/month.

Russ Poffenberger

At 10:01 PM 7/18/2005, you wrote:
>The speed is very likely out of your control. My understanding is that
>this issue has more to do with the condition of your telephone lines
>than your computer or your ISP. The  49333 speed is your initial
>connect, and may vary considerably during any given session, and is
>meaningless in any case, in my experience.
>You're at 93% of capacity anyway, whch is considerably higher than I was
>ever able to get, and probably better than most.
>There are some troubleshooting steps here, whcih may help, or at least
>explain better than I can.:  http://www.56k.com/trouble/connect.shtml
>
>Mike Stephens wrote:
>
>>I don;t want to violate any rules of posting here So I hope if I have I
>>will be sent a way to resolve the issue if it is not a hardware problem.
>>Ever since my family and I have moved to Loveland Co from Southern
>>California I have not been able to sign on at speeds greater than 49333.
>>I have tried all of aol fixes to no avail. My Computer is basically a
>>brand new Dell Dimension 8200 with all of the high speed bells and
>>whistels without going so overboard in price as to set off any govt
>>alarms.  It is a v.90 modem and I was just hopint to get pointed in at
>>least the right direction to begin signing on at speeds approaching 52k.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>