From:
John Dinges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 02:17:04 -0800
Mary-
If its 7 to 8 years old, its probably on its' last legs. Some of the
symptoms you describe could be caused by a build up of dirt in the set
causing leakage and arcing in the hi voltage cirtcuit. The usual service
procedure would be to remove the back of the set and blow/clean the dirt
out. Often that restores them for some time.I have worked with television
and video monitors for over 40 years. When customers would ask me how long a
television should last I always told them 5 years minimum, anything after
that was gravy. Usually the crt (picture tube) goes first.  The free
electron emitting surface in the tube wears out. Also, the filter capacitors
in the set dry out which effect the operating voltages. Thats partially what
is causing the symptoms you describe. Time to buy a new one. CRT type
monitors are pretty cheap, 50 to 60 dollars. The new LCD types are approx 5
times more costly. Both types have good and bad points.

Good Luck,
John Dinges