C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 2005 12:23:49 EDT
In a message dated 10/9/2005 12:03:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Also, I  agree with Mag in that I think you're labelling yourself in a
negative  way.   I have CP and am in a wheelchair because I wore out
my hip  joints but I don't consider myself disabled and never have.
It's all how in  you see yourself and the world, I suppose.  If
someone tells me I'm  disabled, I just stop and stare and them -
unnerves 'em every time!  ;)

Hi,
I'm quite a lurker here - this may be my first post ever (at least in quite
a while).

I am so glad to read what you wrote above.  I grew up not believing I  was
disabled - or even that people with more involved conditions were - we all  have
our own set of abilities.

Then I moved to a certain state I won't name and began working in the
disability community.
I've had an enormous amount of trouble from people I work with for "not
acting like a person with a disability" and "not taking my disability  seriously."
 Sometimes, I think these people (not with disabilities  themselves, but with
family members with disabilities) get a charge out of being  the Helpers.  I
have CP, but didn't need their help and it confused  them.  Just a
theory...........

Also, I do wonder why some people with disabilities indentify with the
disability label and some don't.  To each his own - I just wonder what  makes the
difference.

I had begun to think, in the back of my mind, that there is something wrong
with my thinking. In reality, I know there are others who share my view - it's
 just nice to read it so clearly.

Have a great Sunday.
Susie