C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elizabeth Thiers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 07:40:52 -0400
Hi everyone! The Able Trust is getting ready to distribute applications for
the 2006 Florida Youth Leadership Forum, an incredible leadership
development program for high school juniors and seniors with disabilities
that takes place each summer in Tallahassee. We are looking for your help to
reach out to as many students, parents, schools, youth contacts, etc. If you
are not familiar with the YLF, please visit our website at
www.floridaylf.org <http://www.floridaylf.org/>  for more details, including
wonderful testimonials from our students who have had life-changing
experiences as a result of their participation.

If you have mailings lists, e-mail distribution lists or other resources
that you would be willing to share with us to promote the application
process, please let me know. I have attached the application in pdf format
and included an announcement below if you would like to pass it along.
Thanks so much for your support and assistance with empowering Florida's
youth with disabilities!

Now Accepting Applications for Youth Leadership Forum 2006

The Able Trust is currently accepting applications for the Florida Youth
Leadership Forum (YLF), a unique leadership program that will take place
July 20 - 23, 2006, in Tallahassee. Fifty current high school sophomores and
juniors who have disabilities will be selected as delegates for the forum.
The YLF, which is co-sponsored by The Able Trust and the Florida
Developmental Disabilities Council, is designed to bring together young
people with disabilities with leadership potential and help prepare them for
the future.

The YLF will include educational programs that cover topics such as the
history of the disability movement, personal leadership plans, career
opportunities and academic and community resources. Delegates will learn
leadership by example through meetings with disability community leaders,
business professionals and government dignitaries. In addition, social and
recreational opportunities will enable delegates to network and learn from
each other.

Student delegates will reflect a diverse mix of disabilities, gender,
geographic location and ethnicity. Applicants should demonstrate leadership
skills, participation in extracurricular activities, community involvement
and academic achievement. Applicants should have the ability to interact
effectively with other students, adapt to new surroundings, follow an
intense schedule of forum activities and demonstrate a willingness to
participate in small and large group discussions. Selected student delegates
must show proof of health insurance (private insurance, KidsCare, Medicaid
acceptable).

Delegates will be housed at Southgate Campus Centre, a private dormitory
between Florida State University and Florida A & M University. Chaperones,
medical attendants and security will be provided. There is no fee for
delegates to attend the YLF. The Able Trust will pay all travel and
living/meal expenses through corporate sponsorships and donations.

The deadline to submit an application is Friday, December 9, 2005.  For more
information about the Florida Youth Leadership Forum, visit
www.floridaylf.org.

Kristen Knapp, APR
Vice President of Public Relations
The Able Trust
Florida Governor's Alliance for the Employment of Citizens with Disabilities
106 East College Avenue, Suite 820
Tallahassee, FL 32301
888.838.ABLE (2253)
850.224.4493 Voice or TDD