C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elizabeth Thiers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 07:47:29 -0400
Oh, don't even get me started.  I live in a double Bush state.  Talk about a
bunch of unfunded mandates.  Schools are so bogged down with the minimally
funded No Child Left Behind act, that special education has become even more
of a fight for the children I work with.  Funding cuts to federal programs
has caused many good therapists to leave private pediatric practice.  How
can you expect people to keep being paid less?
I'm lucky, the program I work for doesn't accept federal funds, but, we do
pick up the remains of federal and state programs that don't reach the
children.  If you ask the families in Florida who have to wait 5 years or
more for serves if they are better off, well you know the answer.  And don't
even get me started on the state of mental health services in this state
(especially for children).
Now with the hurricanes, the budgets will be strapped even further.

Beth t the OT