Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:45:36 -0500
Hi Sheryl,

With those symptoms it may be that the drive is faulty. I don't recommend
opening the laptop but if you have, or know someone who has, an external
DVD/CD-RW drive you might test it on your machine. If it works that would be
a good indicator that the Sony is bad. If the Sony is at fault, rather than
go to the expense of replacing it, a cheaper solution would be to assemble
an external drive yourself at a cost of around $70±.

If we knew your computer model and operating system it would be helpful in
making suggestions. If you are using Windows XP, DMA (Direct Memory Access)
is on by default. But when there is repeated problems transferring data
between devices, Windows will 'tone' it down and eventually turn it off.
Turning it back on without correcting the cause would not solve anything. If
there isn't anything physically wrong with the drive, updating the firmware
may help. Generally, firmware updates are related to new media but some
corrects other problems as well.

Your Sony drive is a rebadged Lite-On but start with the Dell Web site and
look under Support for software updates for your model. If not available
there, a search of the Internet will find it. I've included links below to
one such place along with one with instructions for turning DMA back on.
Also insure MyDVD is up to date. Personally, I tried it and didn't like it.
I recommend the latest version of Nero or Roxio.

codeguys.rpc1.org - Overview of LiteOn/Sony DVD-Writers:
http://codeguys.rpc1.org/dvdrw_overview.html

codeguys.rpc1.org - Firmwares:
http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html#DW-D56A

DMA Mode for ATA/ATAPI Devices in Windows XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

Good luck,
Sven Swanson, Sr.