Date:
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 08:19:23 -0500
Hello Jeffrey,

The operating system can be legitimately transferred to new hardware. The
End-User License Agreement (EULA) defines hardware as a single computer
system, or the computer system with which the hardware operates if the
hardware is a system component. This is assuming you comply with the other
terms of the EULA, primarily that of having it installed on only one system
at any given time. This means that Windows XP Pro would need to be
uninstalled from the Compaq before installing it on the Acer. You could, in
turn, reinstall XP Home on the Compaq.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/eula.mspx

Then you have the problem of 'how' to do it. You cannot use the factory
recovery CD from the Compaq to install on the Acer, or vice-versa. You would
need a retail or OEM CD. If you know someone who has one, you can use it
(with your product key). If not, you would have to purchase it.

A retail or OEM install on the Acer shouldn't be a problem as Setup will see
it as an upgrade and give you the option of the type of install you want.
This will allow you to do an upgrade and retain all the Acer applications
from the factory install. Not so with the Compaq. Windows doesn't support
upgrading from Pro to Home and will only allow you to do a clean install, so
you would loose all the Compaq preinstalled software. Of course at this
point, if you strictly abide by the EULA, the Compaq would not have XP Pro
on it. Tough decisions to make.

You didn't mention how you use this notebook. In view of the above you may
want to consider leaving things as they are. Or other options such as the
use of an external hard drive or external optical drive (DVD-RW) with the
Compaq.

Sven Swanson, Sr.