From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 03:54:03 -0400
A good question might be, given that this will be a new account,
what comes as "free" hardware when signing up?

How good is the hardware firewall protection that is built into the
modern Routers/Switches that seem to be "almost" standard "give-aways"
to a new account of this type. Forget (for the moment) that lots of the new
ones also include wireless, which needs to be secured independently
and locked down properly. (And I stay NON-wireless for that very reason.)

I run the firewall in my DSL modem, also the firewall in my Broadband Router,
and one software firewall...

How good is the hardware firewall in a DSL Modem?, (assuming there "might"
be one...)

                                                     Rick Glazier

From: "David Gillett"
>  At the moment, you can probably get by with a software firewall such as
> Zone Alarm or the products offered by McAfee, Norton, etc.  But already
> there is malware that is eroding the usefulness of these products....
>
>  Nobody can force you to buy a firewall, but how many times does it have to
> save your machine from abuse before you decide it's worthwhile?

> On 17 Aug 2005 at 9:36, Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:
>> I contemplate abandoning the dial-up for SBC 1.5 DSL
>> and wish to evaluate additional security/anti-hacker
>> measures.
>>
>> Do I more-or-less *have* to purchase a hardware firewall
>> to be secure? If so, what device might do a good job
>> and how much might it cost?

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com