From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:27:41 -0700
Diane Kroeckel wrote;
>I'm currently using a dial up modem.  I'm thinking of switching to DSL or
>Cable.  Can you tell me what is better or faster?  Any good companies to
>use?

Several people have given their opinion on the subject and all assessments
are accurate. As to which one to choose that would depend upon what your
needs are. I have researched the subject and find that cable which is more
expensive than DSL works really well compared to DSL. Both have limitations
and recommending one ISP over the other would be difficult. If you have
cable for your television programming they may offer some sort of discount.
The discount if any may very depending upon where you live. I used Verizon's
DSL when I was in an area with the service. I presently have Comcast and the
speed is much better than DSL even though it is more expensive than DSL.
When it comes to downloading large files I need to service client's
computers, the cost is warranted.

The article at this site explains the difference between DSL and Cable
internet connections.
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/dslvscablemodem/l/aa111200a.htm

It is worth reading and may help you decide which service will fit your
needs best.

One thing to point out is your location. How far are you away from the
telephone company's central office? The distance will determine if you can
get DSL or not. The distance will also dictate the speed as will the
condition of the telephone wiring in your neighborhood. There are many
variables to consider in choosing between the two. You may ask your local
Telco about the service and what type of speed you can achieve. If you can
break the one Meg barrier you will have fast internet connection.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers

  _____

Virus Database (VPS): 0533-2, 08/17/2005
Tested on: 8/17/2005 8:27:32 AM

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com