From:
Amy Ledford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 03:56:29 -0700
Diane,

The problem with this is not your modem; but the fact
that you can usually only have only one modem per DSL
line. More than likely, yours will work, but without
your folks' modem also on the line, and SBC may not
support it. You said that you are too far away for
cabling or wireless access, but that the phones were
the same. I know that this will work, but you may have
to buy new equipment. You will need a router that is
HPN compatible, and an HPN adapter for the PC. (HPN=
Home Phone Networking) I am afraid though that this
feature is not going to be found in a regular
DSL/cable router. In other words, it probably will not
work with a router that also has to have a modem to
connect. You will need to have a "DSL" router, such as
the 2wire, Netopia, or Westell Versalink. But the
features are model-specific, so check with the
manufacturer first.

You did not mention whether the main house is on a
separate electrical circuit from the guest house. If
they are on the same circuit, this will work. Just to
clarify, what I mean by the same circuit is: If you
were to turn off the main circuit breaker in the main
house, does the guest house also lose power? Another
way to tell: does the guest house have its own set of
circuit breakers? if the answer to the first question
is yes, and the second is no, this next idea will
work. (But being honest, I don't expect it.) It's
called Powerline at Bellsouth, so it may be known by
another name as well. It uses ethernet and electical
wiring to connect. You will need 2 of these adapters
to complete the connection. One adapter connects by
ethernet from the router to an electrical outlet. The
second connects by ethernet from the computer in the
guest house to an electrical outlet.

Another idea is to have an electrician professionally
install RJ-45 cabling (aka ethernet). I know that you
had said previously this would not work, but you can
safely run several hundred feet of RJ-45 cabling and
not have any problem. You will want it professionally
done, mostly for cosmetic reasons. Bellsouth offers
this service as well, although it is not advertised,
and is only for supported routers, so SBC may offer
the same.  Typically, a "supported router" is one
purchased from them.

I have an idea that the last option is going to be the
least expensive, and the least "head-achy." Number one
is going to be difficult unless SBC provides these
routers. You can check eBay for a 2Wire router model
#s 1000, 1000sw, 1100, or 1800hw. There are probably
others, but if you find one that came from Bellsouth,
these are known to work with HPN. Probably from other
providers as well, but Bellsouth is the one I know.
Number two will "only" work if they are on the same
electrical circuit; not much you can do about that.
Number three will just work.

Good luck and hope this helps!

Amy Ledford