From:
Jerome Deyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 08:41:20 -0600
My suggestion, since the drive is still running, is to purchase a new
Seagate drive, install it as the slave drive, and use the tools supplied
with the drive to transfer the image from the old drive to the new. Then
readjust the jumpers and install the new drive permanently as the master
drive. XP will probably have to be reactivated because of the hardware
change, but that's no sweat. Just follow the prompts on boot. There should
be no disturbance of programs or files. I wouldn't waste any time though,
once that drive STOPS running, things get a lot more complicated.
Jerome

>>>  Hello All, through various tests performed on my pc, it has
>>>  been brought to
>>>  my attention that may maxtor hd is beginning to fail.  it is
>>>  still operating
>>>  at present. i am in the process of searching for a new hd for
>>>  replacement. i
>>>  upgraded to XP home from ME. will i need to purchase complete
>>>  version of xp?
>>>   also any suggestions on backup procedures? suggestions for hd?  thanx,
>>>  stephen r stanfield

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml