ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 13:31:00 -0700
The Force Of Faith
Part Two.  The Operation Of Faith
Installment Six.
By Phil Scovell

Comments.

     We are going to look at the passage under current study and
as we do, I am going to point out some of the words important to
our understanding of the nature of faith.  I am beginning one
verse prior to the passage already quoted in the last installment
to help bring the passage into context as far as faith is
concerned.

Mark 11:21-24

21  And peter calling to remembrance saith unto Him, Master,
Behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away.
22  And Jesus answering saith unto them...

Note.  At first, it would appear that Peter was the only one who
noticed, and made comment, about the dead fig tree.  Yet, when
Jesus spoke, he used the word "them."  It would appear the other
disciples not only made notice of the tree but it is very likely
they all wanted to know how such a thing could happen.  It makes
little difference, however, because Jesus began teaching them all
when He said, "Have faith in God."

     This little phrase has caused a great deal of disagreement,
not to mention friction, among a lot of Christians.  If you are a
Baptist, for example, the phrase has no more meaning than what it
says, "Have faith *in* God," with strong emphasis on the word
"in."  "How could it be anything other than what it says?" they
ask; meaning a Baptist.  Well, as a Baptist myself, I certainly
understand why a Baptist might think this way.

     charismatics, or Pentecostals, on the other hand, not to
mention some different translations of the Bible, God forbid, say
this little phrase actually says, "Have the faith of God."  This
immediately opens a big can of worms for some, as I have pointed
out, so let me try and put the lid back on.

     Let's simply take the statement at face value, "Have faith in
God."  I have a question.  Where did we get this faith?  If you
have agreed with the previous quoted bible verses in this study,
you would be correct if you said that we get our faith from god
because that is, in fact, what Scripture confirms.

     My second question is this.  Where did God get the faith He
gives us?  You see, many people who don't believe God could have
faith have absolutely no problems believing God has righteousness,
love, holiness, purity, compassion, and a whole lot of other
character traits exclusively God in origin.  all of which, I might
point out, are natural to his character.  In fact, we can say, and
do, God is righteousness, God is holy, and God is love.  If we try
and say, God is faith, on the other hand, the mud hits the fan
with some people so we won't say that.  I still would like an
answer to my question, which is, if we are supposed to have faith
in God, as Jesus said, He must be saying God has faith.  Ok,
regardless of what Jesus meant, where did God get the faith that
we are supposed to have in Him?

Illustration.

     To create even more conflict among brethren, let's briefly
consider the creation of all things.  without turning to a dozen
Bible verses, we know who created all things.

     You see, one day, when God decided to put his plan into play,
he saw nothing but darkness right in the place He wanted us to
exist.  So, naturally, being God, He said, Light, and it was.  He
didn't suggest it, He did not agree with anybody else about it, He
didn't seek the will of others first, He simply spoke.  "Yes,"
some argue, "but He didn't use faith."  Then, I ask, what did He
use?  Some say He used His power.  Really?  How much power did it
take?  Is that why He rested, as the bible says, on the seventh
day?  He was exhausted from exercising all that creative power?
No, I am told, because He is God and His power is eternal.  The
truth is, God didn't use His power to create the universe, in my
opinion, he used His authority but that's for an entirely
different sermon.

     If I casually suggest to some people, that God used his faith
by the power of His authority, to create all things, some blow
like a broaching whale.  More than once in my life have I been
soaked by someone detonating like a hydrogen bomb at my statement
that God's faith created the universe as spittle sprayed in every
direction.  These are all people that believe faith is something
human in nature.  It is not.  Faith is supernatural and we Got it
from God because nobody else has faith to give.  Let's set that
aside, however, and get on with the rest of the passage.  For
faith to work, you do not need to believe, for that matter, that
God has faith.  So there!

22  Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God.
23  For "verily" I saith unto you...

Verily.

     This is not a word tossed in by the King James translators
simply to fill space.  It simply means that Jesus is about to tell
us something that is an absolute fact.  It literally means, of a
truth.  If it is the truth, therefore, you can bank on it or
stated another way, you can live on it.

23  For verily I say unto you, that whosoever...

Question.  To whom is Jesus referring when he says "whosoever?"
Just the disciples to whom He was speaking?  It means exactly what
you think it means.  In short, He is speaking to you and to me.

23  For Verily I say unto you, that whosoever shall say...

SAY.

     Say?  Think back.  What did Jesus demonstrate the day before
to the disciples by speaking to the fig tree.  talking to trees?
Isn't that a little weird?  Yet, Jesus is telling us an absolute
fact.  Unless, of course, you are a dispensationalist and these
words died away with the last apostle, whoever he was.

22  Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God.
23  For "verily" I saith unto you,  that whosoever shall say unto
this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and
shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things
which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he
saith.

Comments.

     Now the fun begins.  If you think talking to trees is weird,
now we find Jesus confirming that the absolute fact that talking
to mountains is valid and acceptable.  He even goes so far to tell
us that we, with our own words, can tell a mountain where to go,
sort of speak.  Think of that.  Surely, this has got to be
spiritualized and not taken literally.  There went your Baptist
heritage right out the window.  I thought, we as Baptist, believe
the Bible literally.  Well?  Is what Jesus said literal,
metaphorical, spiritual, or just right down lunacy or do you
suppose the Creator of the universe meant what He said?  If he
didn't mean what He said, and it is just spiritual in its
interpretation, then what happen to the fig tree Jesus spoke to
the day before?  Was that something to be spiritualized, too?  You
can't have it both ways regardless of which religious flag you
fly.  Jesus is speaking literally or He isn't.  Which do you
choose to believe?

KEY Words.

     In the most basic of terms I can state it, Jesus taught his
disciples, the day before, exactly what He was talking about
concerning their faith, their words, and what to do no matter what
tried to get in their way as they served God.

     Let's read the passage in Mark's Gospel again and I will
highlight areas of focus.

      Mark  11:22-24

       22  And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God.
23  For *verily* I say unto you, That *whosoever* shall *say* unto
this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and
*shall not doubt* in his *heart*, but shall *believe* that those
things which he *saith* shall come to pass; he shall *have*
whatsoever he *saith*.
24  Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when
ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

     These highlighted words, as well as a few others we will
eventually examine, create the outline I want to use to further
interpret the Words of our Lord.  The outline is:

Say It
Pray It
Believe It
Receive it