C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael Jeffries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 2005 21:54:47 EDT
In a message dated 10/09/2005 21:39:32 Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

On  Monday 10 Oct 2005 00:59, Kathleen Salkin wrote:
> That's a good point,  Bobby, as the only interaction I had with other
> disabled people were  at school.  My parents raised me to be
> independent, and I think  they saw the schools for people with
> disabilities at the time as not  fostering independence so they sent
> me to regular schools after I left  elementary school.  My mother,
> particularly, felt that other  parents tended to treat their children
> as babies, not as maturing  kids.  (which as I recall, wasn't too far
> off in a lot of  cases)
>
> I think it's absolutely vital for disabled children to  go to school
> with able-bodied kids and learn to interact with  everyone, not just
> other disabled people.  Otherwise how will  they learn to function
> well at school or  work?

It's also good that there are disabled people  more portrayed in regular TV
not just those dramas of the week movies that are  almost a dime a dozen.  How
many current TV shows has a disabled cast  member?  "The West Wing" has Marlee
Matlin as a recurring  character.   Do anyone else know of a current TV show
with a disabled  person in it?  Once more people with disabilities are on more
shows it can  also help being more accepted with non disabled that we are
people  too.

"Nobody tells  you how to live your life, you've got to do it on your own!"
Alice Cooper  "Freedom"

Michael Jeffries ICQ #53522767
AOL MSN Messenger and Yahoo  Messenger ID MJeff25916