From:
Kevin Kwan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 19:56:15 -0400
An excellent point that was brought up on a local net here in Toronto was
that you may have the luxury of all this digital, and satellite
communications, That's good and yes we're in the new millennium so we're
moving ahead in giant leaps. What happens to all of this though in a power
failure? Well computers won't work, you can't get a signal on the cell
phone, some land line service can sometimes be compromised, you might have a
working phone, but the switching system in your city might not function,
especially if your area still uses the old electronic switching system (ess)
and god be with you if you're in a remote area still using the old cross bar
network. Now when nothing else gets threw, the cw is always reliable. You
can run a battery with a simple transmitter and that's quite enough to get
threw. In ham radio it's all about communications, so we shouldn't turn a
blind eye on the old school ways. As out dated as you might think.