From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jul 2005 19:29:58 -0400
Hi Steve.

I imagine that the auto tuner in the TS850S is probably a similar desing to
that in the TS690S as they were made about the same time.  The Kenwood
TS690S is the same radio as the Kenwood TS450S except that the TS690S also
runs 50 watts on 6 meters.

I've never used a TS850S, but I've had 12 years of very reliable service
out of the TS690S--a very well engineered radio in my opinion.

I just wanted one of the DC to Daylight radios, but cannot fault the '690
at all.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 03:17 PM 7/23/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>Yeah, Lou, I think the relay driven tuner in the 2000 and 480 are more
>restricted.  I'm not familiar with the 690, but the QST review of the 480
>mentioned that the tuner in the 850 used motorized capacitors and had more
>range than that in the 480/2000.
>
>Steve, K8SP
>
>Subject: Re: mfj and ts2000
>

>Hi Rich.
>
>The tuning range of the built in tuner is much more restricted than the MFJ
>tuner.  The problem that I am trying to get around is that there isn't
>enough range in the built in tuner to tune my G5RV across the entire 80
>meter band.....

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]