From:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:48:54 -0700
Hi Howard,

I would suspect that the meter you are using is not a peak reading meter and
that way you won't get a good reading on voice at all.  The best you can
hope to achieve would be .707 of true DC power because of the RMS values
associated with AC.  For a better indication put a constant tone or whistle
into the mic and read the power.  I can whistle my 480 to 100 to 109 watts
depending on band.  What I do is put on a set of head phones, turn on the
transmit monitor and then do some voice tests holding a syllable and
adjusting the mic gain after each reading.  When I reach a point where I
can't seem to get much more out of it no matter how much I advance the gain,
that's where I leave it.

Good luck and very 73.

Kevin :)
Amateur Radio:  K7RX