From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Mar 2005 16:00:48 -0500
Hi, folks:

My son, who is also a ham, is having a problem with his Standard twin-bander
VHF/UHF transceiver.  The model number is C5718DA.  He bought the rig used
several years ago from a friend, and has no manual for the rig.  His problem
is that it receives and transmits fine on 440, but only receives on the
2-meter side.  If he programs a repeater into the 2-meter side, with
correct, frequency, off-set, and PL tone, and tries to transmit, literally
nothing happens.  I am wondering if somehow a "transmit inhibit" function
got activated, or if he has some kind of transmit tone encoding function
turned on that shouldn't be on.  I am not thinking that his finals are gone
since he can transmit fine on 440, and since absolutely nothing happens when
he transmits.  From past experience, I've found that, if the finals are
gone, you can still transmit with very minimal output power.  I listened
with my Kenwood HT when right next to him, and heard absolutely nothing when
he transmitted.

Sorry about the awkward nature of these questions, but I wonder if anyone
can help.

Is anyone familiar with this particular rig?

Does anyone have a phone number for Standard, where he could call and maybe
get some help.

I am not familiar with the radio other than very basic functions, and since
it doesn't seem very "user friendly" for folks like us, I'm not able to be
terribly helpful at this point.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'll forward them onto him from here.

Thanks, and best 73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ