From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:52:56 -0700
hey jeff:
are you sure these repeaters are actually on the frs frequencies, or is it
the FRS radios you have picking up intermod....these hand held FRS/GMRS have
a tendancy to have extremely sensative receivers which plays havoc with
strong signals on nearby frequencies.
I will give an example:
With my midland model XXX FRS/GMRS hybrid handhelds, on FRS channel 10, i
very clearly can receive the local regional school bus repeater which
happens to be located in the 424MHZ area.  This is not because i am even
close to the repeater site either, i can pick up this signal on FRS channel
10 all over a 15-20 mile radius. However, on my bc245XLT and another
programmable 400MHZ handheld i have, i do not pick this signal up unless i
program to the actual frequency.
This leads me to believe that these cheaply manufactured FRS/GMRS radios,
though they are required to meet certain technical standards, have a big
problem with adjasent frequency intermod on receive.
Since i doubt as big a place a detroit would over look a camercial business
system on the same freqs as FRS/GMRS, i would lean towards an intermod type
problem.
If you have a scanner, punch in the FRS/GMRS frequencies and monitor for a
while to see if you still pick up those ltr/conventional repeaters.
Another way to check if its intermod is to go to the frequency or
frequencies you hear the repeaters on with the frs/gmrs handheld, and enter
a ctcss tone, or what the industry has simplified to a "privacy code" and
see if it goes away, if so, then it is truely a repeater on that freq, if it
stays, then i would say its intermod.
If you do multiple tests and find that at the end of it all the frequencys
are truely being used by local camercial companies,, inform the FCC and make
a formal complaint....there are allot of GMRS pirate operators, meaning, a
company using a GMRS repeater that some less then reputable operator has
rented to them for monitory gain with no regard for the law.
GMRS, due to its nature is much like 11 meters, there are rules and regs,
and many people who are technically aware and follow the regs, and then
there are those who get away with pretty much every single infraction of the
laws and regulations governing the band and go unchecked...
GMRS repeater owning goes even further, because repeaters are not
specifically well used or at least very popular in all places, a person can
set one up fairly cheap and rent it out to a company who doesn't care or who
doesn't know about communications regulations and make a bit of cash on the
side.
Regards
Colin