From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Mar 2005 21:59:51 -0500
Hi, all.

Believe it or not, it's been two weeks since I received my new Omega HHm
talking multi-meter, but just got to it today, since my mid-term grading
crunch is now over.

Here are some brief observations:

The meter is a very well-constructed and rugged unit.  It can run off either
a 9-volt battery, or an AC wallwart adapter.  The meter reads both AC and DC
voltage, plus AC and DC amperage.  It also reads ohms.  The meter also has a
temperature read-out, with thermal couplers to read the temp in either
fahrenheit or centigrade.  You can even take two different temperature
readings and compare them to one another if you'd like.

The speech is very clear, and there's even a volume level switch to make the
voice louder or softer to suit your needs.

The meter speaks all functions, whether accessed from the function knob on
the side of the unit, or the function buttons on the face of the unit.

The only thing I'm a bit disappointed with  is that the meter probes are
rather short, and are merely straight probes, which means you have to try to
place them on the terminals of the voltage source, while simultaneously
pushing the read-out button on the positive probe.  This almost seems to
require three hands at times.  In fact, if anyone has any suggestions as to
how I might readily hook small allegator clips to the probes for easier use,
please let me know.  This might be a case where I'm missing an obvious
solution to a minor problem.  I know the old ratshack meter had an allegator
clip on the negative or ground lead, which really did come in handy
sometimes.

In short, my overall impressions about this meter are quite favorable, and I
think it's well worth the $249 I paid.  I'd recommend that if anyone has the
interest and the money to purchase one, you might do so soon, since I was
getting hints from the folks at Omega that demand has been lower than they
had expected.

My XYL has just about finished scanning the manual for the meter.  Once I
have the chance to review it, I'll let everyone know.  I'll also send it to
Handihams, and Icanworkthisthing.com.

Best 73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ