From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 11:16:05 -0500
Thanks, ya I get limited sighted help but when I'm doing all the connectors
I had to do up they start to complain. SO I just did them myself and with my
luck, I probably got most of them right too.  I hope to get the portable
setup here by field day with that being the first good test of the radio, I
want to get the backpack for the Icom 703 radio, put the 706 in it, then get
a battery that will run it, I'm looking at 1 that might do the trick, not as
long as I'd like but at lower power settings which is all I'd use on a
battery it should work alright, then  I'll probably need a tuner, not much
of a problem there, a switching power supply that can handle the radio in a
base situation, and some wire antennas I can quickly throw outside for
emergency/portable use. On vacation I used to bring my TS-450 or what ever I
had at the time but that was too big and too much work for something I only
used for maybe an hour in the hole 2 weeks and now with just a astern to
bring everything to keep 2 people going for 2 weeks, I think this is the
best option because I can sit on the deck with it, or use it inside, or what
ever, field day, or even here if I want to work people from the deck or when
I go away to my sister's in CT, some times we have down time, it would be
fun and with that radio I have every band in it. Also it has the 100 watts
if I want/need to use it inside the house here for something. I thought
about the 703, and that's still possible since there is a lot less to it but
I really like the idea of full power in here in case I need it though the
703 is a lot cheaper, I can get the hole setup done antennas and all for
still in the 3 digit numbered price range. with the 706 I need to search for
some things and could spend a lot of $$$.  probably more then double the 703
setup so we'll see what my finances look like, if they look alright maybe
I'll try the 703 anyway.