From:
"Thorn, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thorn, Michael
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:15:26 -0500

Suffolk County (Long Island/NY) Celiacs is very active in promoting the
education of our members and awareness in the community. Our group is
dedicated to easing the burden of adhering to a gluten-free regimen for
those
who are recently diagnosed and helping all celiacs to discover new products
and services which enhance the gluten-free lifestyle.
Lecturers to our group have included Connie Sarros (cookbook author), Ted
Malahias (dentist and researcher in dental enamel defects) and Ann Whelan
(Gluten Free Living magazine). Dr. Peter Green scheduled to speak to the
group this Spring.
Activities at our meetings include: a catered holiday party (from our local
gf Italian restaurant) with gf gift exchange and cooking demonstrations by
members. The demonstrations have included a new pizza dough recipe which
included a pizza party and 'cake-in-a-cup' with everyone taking home a
ceramic mug with ingredients and instructions.
We received Toastabags samples, enough for all members to get one.
Toastabags are gf safe reusable
bags for toasting bread, heating sandwiches, pizza or snacks at home or
away.
Also arranged was a dental screening in our area so that we could
participate in Dr Malahias' research study.
Our Celiac Supper Club is going strong. The Supper Club regularly goes to
restaurants that are celiac-friendly for group dinners. This serves our
members and helps educate the restaurant. We work with them ahead of time
and also provide a short brochure on CD for managers and staff.
We regularly do talks at the two area locations of the natural foods
supermarket Wild by Nature with a very good response. One talk included a
pasta tasting.
Member Michael Thorn has had an article published in a 'Advance for Nurses',
nursing magazine. It is a continuing education piece on CD. The magazine is
distributed to over 800,000 nurses and is available online.