From:
Diane McConnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:31:00 -0600

I just recently have had some dealings with Kikkoman Company. They are
probably the most popular supplier of soy sauce and many manufacturers and
restaurants use their products. A local restaurant recently made celiac
customers ill when they placed one of their menu items on their gluten-free
list. Upon investigation, it was revealed that Kikkoman soy sauce was in the
marinade but Kikkoman issued a letter stating that their soy sauce was
gluten-free. I contacted Kikkoman and they sent me a letter stating why they
call they product which DOES contain wheat, gluten-free. I spoke to Mr Wada
and they stand behind their process although he admits they have NEVER had
their products tested for gluten. Below is a statement from the company
along with their letter:

"As more studies on celiac disease are being done and the research for
better methods of testing gluten is continuing, our company has been keeping
track of these developments.  Coincidentally, Kikkoman is currently doing a
review of gluten in its soy sauce.  A new company statement should be
finalized by the end of the year and we will forward you a copy when it is
completed. "

Until this review is finished, many products and restaurants may incorrectly
allow this soy sauce to be labeled gluten-free. Use your own judgement.

November 23, 2004

Re:         Minimum Possibility of Kikkoman Soy Sauce (00612) to Cause
Deleterious Reactions to Soybeans and Wheat.

Kikkoman Soy Sauce (00612) is produced through a natural brewing process by
our unique microorganisms with soybeans and wheat as the two main starting
materials. These two crops contain proteins, which are known to cause
allergic reactions and also Celiac disease for wheat gluten in wheat
gluten-sensitive individuals. However, these proteins are broken mostly into
amino acids with an insignificant amount of tiny fragments by enzymes
produced by our unique microorganisms during the brewing process. The
resultant tiny fragments from soybean proteins and wheat gluten are now
thought to be too small to cause such deleterious reactions. Furthermore,
for the development of Celiac disease, protein fragments need to possess a
particular structure, which is thought to be no longer retained after
brewing process. We have no records of any incident of such unfavorable
reactions in the long history of consumption of Kikkoman Soy Sauce both in
Japan and now, all over the world.

Therefore, Kikkoman takes the position that it is reasonable to assume that
the possibility for Kikkoman Soy Sauce (00612) to cause deleterious
reactions to soybeans or wheat is negligible.

Sincerely,

Toshihiro Wada

Technical Advisor for Kikkoman International, Inc.

I have included this gentleman's contact info if you wish to voice your
concerns.

Toshihiro Wada
Kikkoman Marketing & Planning, Inc.
675 Tollgate Rd. Suite G