VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Neil T. Young" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Neil T. Young
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 16:14:01 -0600
Hello All,

Please excuse the cross listing, and the off-subject matter.  I've recently
subscribed to various listservs to gain a better understanding of the
challenges one faces and the opportunities that are available from an
Information Technology (IT) perspective.  As I learn of other listservs (I
will subscribed as needed.)

For years I've been an Application Developer (Senior Computer
analyst/Programmer).   Over that time, computers have changed, applications
have changed...  Here at UWM, we have moved from IBM mainframe applications
to running Peoplesoft.   As a developer, the developer portion of
Peoplesoft is not accessible.  As a result, my productivity has decreased
dramatically.  This is a result of not working on any online based
projects, and working on some batch projects--basically working outside of
the Peoplesoft application.  The need for batch projects will be fewer in
number as we continue to migrate towards the Peoplesoft development tools.
Some tools I currently use are UltraEdit, SQR+Workbench, Toad, MS Office,
... and WindowEyes 5.0.   I'm investigating other alternatives where I can,
again, be productive.  This could be a transfer within the IT field, or a
possible career change.

I know there are developers / non-developers out there.  Some initial
questions are:
What type of work do you do?   What tools are you using?  What platform are
you on?  Is there interaction with users/customers/peers?  What are some
workarounds you and/or your company have implemented?
what other information can you provide?

Any assistance you can provide is much appreciated.  If you wish, I can
contact you by telephone,just provide me with your telephone number, and
the best time to contact you.  (I'm in the Central Time Zone)

To reduce the traffic on the various listservs, please email me directly.
Also, please use 'NTY-WORK' in the Subject line.  I request this because I
do not want to accidently remove your message when deleting the spam from
my Inbox.  In addition, I will automatically forward these messages to a
specific folder.

Thank you again in advance for any assistance.

Neil Young
I&MT - Administrative Application Solutions
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
P.O. Box 413
Milwaukee, WI    53201
(414) 229-5235