From:
Karen Fechter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:48:43 -0500
I am new to the list, also new to the Paleo Diet.

The main reason for my interest in the diet is that I suffer from food
intolerances - I am intolerant of gluten, dairy, corn, soy, and possibly
yeast. I avoid all the above foods completely. The food intolerances are
relatively new for me - started having symptoms (that I recognized) in the
summer of 2004. Thus I do not have much experience or knowledge about any
kind of diet or dietary restriction. Basically ate what I wanted to before
this started. In the last month I have gone more in direction of actually
being on the Paleo Diet; basically grain free, completely dairy free,
almost legume free.

I have read Loren Cordain's book, The Paleo Diet, and also Ray Audette's
Neanderthin. Both books have an emphasis on we
ight loss - which I don't
need since I had already tackled that before I became ill. However, I also
don't want to gain weight. The paleo diet issues that are most confusing
to me at this time have to do with amounts of fat and types of fat
in the diet. As all of you know Cordain recommends eating lean meat.
However, I have noticed that many of you seem to actually indulge in large
amounts (unlimited?) of saturated fat. I have read a little of Mary Enig's
research on the net but I have not read her book.

I would like to know of any articles or books or other resources that
support eating large amounts of saturated fats in the paleo diet.

I am familiar with Steffanson's experiment. I realize that some paleo
people had diets that consisted of large amounts of saturated fat such as
for example the Inuit - they did not suffer heart disease. However, does
this apply to us in our particular environment?

Thank you for your help.

Karen Fechter