From:
Thomas Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:59:43 +0900
On Friday, September 17, 2004, at 03:15 PM, Persephone O'Donnell wrote:

> I continue to do very well after several weeks on the paleodiet, but
> I'm
> still eating a lot of fresh (and a little dried) fruit. I have very
> good
> teeth, but as my fruit consumption has risen, I'm concerned about the
> effects of fruit acids and sugars on the enamel.

I have pretty bad teeth, have since I was a kid. Lots of filled
cavities, hollow caps and root canals. Since going paleo I have noticed
a great improvement in the health of my teeth and gums. No more aching
teeth or swollen gums. I had an old root canal blow out last year and
have to be redone, but that is it.

I eat quite a bit of fruit, especially in this season when there is
such variety in the shops. Today I have eaten a pear, apple, grapes,
plums and figs. I find that I have to be more careful to brush when I
am eating this much fruit, or after a few days I will start getting
swollen gums again. If I go back to low carb and a mostly meat diet my
teeth quickly feel better.

A high fruit diet probably isn't good for teeth, at least for someone
whose teeth are already as bad as mine. Dried fruit are much like
candy, the effect on my teeth is not good.