VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 10:32:23 -0500
Hello Michael and other interested parties:

I have all those attachments showing up in my Outlook Express inbox also. So
I feel your pain.

Here is my ideal as to what is going on here. It seems to me the paperclip
symbol didn't start showing up until service pack 2 SP2. Bill gates in his
never-ending battle to protect us added a new security feature. This
paperclip shows up in all of my mail that includes a graphic. The phrase
"Some pictures have been blocked to prevent the sender from identifying your
computer. Click here to download pictures." Appears just below the headers
in your mail. Now when AVG started scanning the incoming mail; a new feature
of AVG, AVG started placing the paperclip symbol next to each mailing that
includes a graphic.

Doing a Google search on the phrase: "AVG attachments showing up after
installation" came up on the AVG free forum with the below posting that I
copied in part:

You should know that with certain email clients (such as Outlook Express),
the email certification looks like an attachment because these clients do
not follow the industry standard for these... Personally I don't care for
AVG marking them as safe and changing the email, I'm already certain that
AVG scans them and don't need the cert to show it, so I turn mine off for
the best compatibility.

End of AVG  forum posting.

The complete posting can be read at this link:

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?2,52922,backpage=,sv=

I am not clear as to what this person is referring to when he says, "don't
need the cert to show it, so I turn mine off for the best compatibility."

 You could just stop accepting attachments. Or only accept mail in plane
text. Not much of a solution to the problem.

I didn't solve the problem of paperclips but hope I gave you more info to
work from.

Safe computering to you