From:
Eliot Glick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 21:00:35 -0600
Kevin Eifler wrote:

>Welcome Aboard!
>
>Two years you've been on the diet? You're way ahead of me. I haven't started full swing yet, but I'm
>moving towards it quickly. Did you make the transition to Paleo easily? What kind of meat (aside
>from the standard supermarket stuff) do you get up there in Winnipeg? I went to winnipeg.ca; it
>looks really nice up there.
>
>Kevin Eifler
>Burlingame, CA

Hi Kevin,

Aye, Welcome to you also!

Starting paleo shouldn't be too difficult.  The few weeks adjustment to
carb-free is the hardest part but afterwards you won't miss it at all.
Here in Wpg, I eat grass-fed beef and buffalo meat -- all cuts. I
usually get 40 or so lb and keep it in my basement freezer.  I use a
non-stick pan to quick cook the ground beef, adding a bit of whatever's
around: carrot, celery, ginger, garlic, cabbage etc., at the end.  For
roasts, I use a crock pot (slow cooker) and cook them for 4 or 5 hours
on a low heat (allow it to fully thaw at room temp, usually 12 or so
hours).  As most paleo's know, grass-fed is best:  it's highest in
omegas, but besides, tastes quite amazing.  Note that grass-fed cooks
faster than both commercial and grain-fed organic.  I cook steaks very
traditionally, rare, in a cast-iron pan that's super pre-heated in the
broiler...the pan is put on the hot stovetop, the steaks are added,
cooked 30 seconds per side, and then put in the oven for 3-5
minutes....remove,  place in a casserole dish and cover with foil for
five minutes...Eat lots of raw veggies, collards, kale, celery and
carrots are my favorites, and drink lots of filtered water and mild
herbal teas.  I also eat lots of liver and heart (cook 30 seconds per
side) -- I find that the organ meat really hits the spot when you're on
the paleo path.  I also eat a lot of bananas and apples.  I hope this
helps you on your way, and of course, let me know if I can offer you any
further tips or advice.

Regards,

Eliot Glick