From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:20:35 -0500
Thomas Bridgeland wrote:

> On Monday, Jan 31, 2005, at 08:40 Asia/Tokyo, Richard Geller wrote:
>
>> 2. I'm sure many people will not lose their teeth if they don't get
>> their plaque removed, but I am also sure many will. Genetics play a
>> part
>> in addition to diet.
>

> I think you got it. I recall reading that humans have been losing tooth
> size and density for the last 100,000 years, due to the effects of
> cooking and processing reducing the need and evolutionary pressure for
> strong teeth.

I have met folks who raise cattle absolutetly the paleo way. Not just
grass-fed, but on the range with their natural friends and enemies, no
veterinary care, no fly programs, pure Darwinian approach to cattle
raising. What struck me is that some cows will have flies all over them,
and some will have virtually none. Why? They are all in the same setting
and there are tons of flies around, but apparently some have a genetic
resistance to it.

I believe it is the same with teeth. Some of us resist dental problems
better than others. But on the whole, modern dentistry is a great
benefit and removing plaque seems to promote health of gums and the
underlying bone mass of the jaw.

--Richard