From:
Persephone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 07:24:55 +0100
I've found the replies to Sharon's post on the fructose research quite
fascinating. It's wonderful to watch so many good brains at work!

Ginny made me think about eating less fruit when winter approaches. I'll
watch for the end of the blackberry and crab apple season here as a sign ;-)

Stan wrote:

>.Personally, I believe the latter to be the case, in that sugars that are
fractionated and refined from their source foods are more likely to be
causing the health-related problems than the sugars found naturally in
fruits and vegetables, which I believe to have something like a synergistic
relationship to the other compounds found in the source foods.

I have that feeling too. Do you know of any research that has been done to
determine how this might occur?

>I don't notice any adverse effects from eating moderate amounts of fruits,
either.

Good to know I'm not alone!

Ray wrote:

>Fructose commonly used as sweetener comes from corn.  As such is very
different than that which comes from fruit.

>Corn sweeteners are refined only as much as needed.  To make "pure "
fructose (C-6,H-12,O-6) would be prohibitively expensive.  Corn fructose
will contain other corn starches, proteins and even aflatoxins and pesticide
residues.

Which won't appear on the labels, of course. Not that I'm supposed to be
reading labels any more <g>

Many thanks for explaining that; it was something I'd never considered
before.

I'm still waiting for my local library to add my 'Neanderthin' order to
their catalogue. I'm too poor to buy the book yet, but still able to stick
to the basic rules of Paleoeating. I was converted when I found your
website, but as I've not yet read your book, you'll have to forgive me for
any dumb questions I might ask in the meantime ;-)

I was also enlightened by Michael Weis' analysis of the research. I'm
wondering what chance there is of his much more interesting proposed study
being done, with emphasis on the levels of triglycerides of course.

Is there any research going on currently into the health benefits of
switching to a Paleo diet?

What a stimulatingly diverse group of people you all are on this list! I'm
so glad I joined.

Persephone