ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:27:33 -0700
I don't believe I told this on echurch yet.  If so, forgive the repeat.

     Several weeks ago I was sort of day dreaming.  Jennifer's
situation came into my thoughts and I said, "Lord, if I was a
millionaire, I'd call Jennifer and tell her I would buy her a
brand new car of her choice when she comes home from the
hospital."  Sure, I knew, perhaps such a thing might encourage
Jennifer, but the gesture of the purchase of a new car certainly
couldn't heal anybody.

     Several weeks passed, and every single time I talked with
George on the telephone, which was nearly every single night, my
thought of being rich enough to buy Jennifer a new car when she
came home popped to the surface of my thoughts as George and I
would be talking or praying.  I always dismissed it as a childish
day dream.

     finally, as George and I talked one night, I said, "George, I
have just got to tell you something."  I explained to him
everything I told you so far and then I told him to tell Jennifer
about it and that I would buy her a new car of her choice when she
came home from the hospital.  I told him to tell her, of course,
that this was God's idea and that I was just following the Lord's
instructions because I'm not rich.

     You see, what had happened was, it wasn't just a day dreaming
fantasy but the Lord made it clear to me it was a test of
obedience.  Now, as Paul Harvey would say, let me tell you the
rest of the story.

     A couple of weeks ago I was home alone one Saturday while
Sandy was out.  I was seated in one of our rocking chairs in the
living room.  I was half praying and half day dreaming again, or
what you might call meditating.  As that was going on, a small
thought tried to penetrate my thinking, "What if Jennifer doesn't
make it?"  I turned this thought of intrusion around and turned it
into a question directed to the Lord.  "What about that Lord?" I
asked.  The Lord immediately said, "Do you think I would tell you
to tell Jennifer that you would buy her a new car of her choice if
she was going to die?"  I felt laughter inside.  My spirit
laughed because it was not only logical but it was true.  So, I
began praying, not for Jennifer to live but for the car the Lord
wants me to buy her.

     Now, I can hear someone saying, "but what if she does die?"
My answer is still the same, "But what if she doesn't?"

Phil.
I flew Kites With Jesus
www.safeplacefellowship.com