ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Du Bois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:03:36 -0500
Vicki,
         I used to teach in special education for the Mentally impaired. I
taught children between the ages of 3 to 26.  I liked the kids, but the
paper work was an absolute nightmare.  Even sighted people hate it, but
getting a reader to help you out was just no fun.  Also, I got frustrated
with parents that saw their kids as hopeless situations and gave up pushing
their children to meet all of the potential that they were capable of.  I
suppose, looking back on it, I was a bit idealistic and, perhaps a bit
insensitive to what they were going through with a special needs child, but
I just always saw my students as being able to do so much and watching
othre peoples' expectations hold them back.  I got pretty frustrated.
         I do enjoy writing, but that requires discipline and guts.  First
of all, you have to make yourself sit down to actually organize your
thoughts, not an easy task when you arent accountable to anybody and family
needs are right in front of you.    Then you have to have the guts to share
what you have done.  I admire Phil for putting it all out there.  I'm not
that brave.
Kathy