ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Tue, 8 Feb 2005 08:17:06 -0600
Hi Peggy and thanks for responding to this.
You make a good point.
For me, there was a negative consequence for actions when it came to looking
at the wrong things on the internet.
Namely Junk e and snail mail as well as spy wear or pop ups.
Now that I have learned that adultery includes real or imagined things, I
don't get in to as much trouble on the internet anymore.
In the 60s we had "if it feels good.  Do it..
Now I think societies wrong attitude is, as long as you are just being
curious in your mind and it isn't acted upon, then it's ok.
Of course, there are other consequences for such actions.
It causes distance between you and those you should be close to if you do
just explore thingsi n your own mind or with other people.
I know plenty of people who have computers and internet accounts who use
them mainly to receive and forward Jokes or pictures or video and nothing
else.  Some people have the hardest time trying to wrap their minds around
the fact that I automatically delete messages with fwd in the subject line.
I mean, yes, I originally stopped reading them because most don't have the
thought to remove the forward stuff but more and more it was because all of
it was just mind candy.
Even the good natured stuff and little touchy feely religious type stories.
Chicken soup for the soul type stuff.
I would rather deal with real life stuff even though it opens you up to more
misunderstandings and hurt feelings in a real way with folks.
I am constantly wondering, did what I just finished writing and sending come
off the wrong way?
Messages I am composing will stay in my draft folder for days because I am
thinking and changing and rewriting.
In the end I don't junk enough of my thoughts and they end up causing
distance but at least I have spoken my mind and if people really did care
about you they would write back and say, what you said here hurt me or made
me feel uncomfortable or what have you and what did you mean by that?
In truth we are imperfect humans and we do and say stupid things no matter
how hard we try no to.
I think the lesson is.
To question, why is life such a constant disappointment?
The answer is because this world is not our final destination and it will
pass away so our focus should be our destination.

Matt

Deep or dense?
You decide.