ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:51:06 -0600
Rhonda,

Yes I was making sport, pun intended,  of your earlier reference to
stealing a base. Stealing a base actually means the runner runs for example
from first base to second, or second to third, or third to home, which is
known as stealing home, no he is not carrying a house lol.  He steals a
base when he runs from one base to another without the ball being hit by
the batter. Normally a runner will run when the batter hits the ball and it
is difficult or impossible to be tagged or made "out" as the ball is in the
air. They call it stealing because he chances getting caught and sort of
tries bucking the tradition of waiting until the ball is hit. And to clear
the record when the quarterback says "hike, hike hike" the other players
indeed do not hike up their drawers, instead the quarterback hikes up the
drawers of the "center" the guy with the ball as the quarterback waits to
get the ball... not lol. Sorry couldn't resist.

Brad