ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Vicki and The Rors <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:39:43 -0700
Many of us have become familiar with this verse throughout the year.  In
thinking and meditating on it this last couple of days, something stood out
to me in a new way.  A way that I never saw before and am still thinking
about.  So, no matter how familiar the verse, it's good for us to remember
that the Bible is the Word of God which is living.  And God can literally
reveal new truth to us in new ways, or old truth in new fresh ways.  As long
as it's His truth, then the matter of revealing is up to him as we open our
hearts eagerly and expectantly, just as those who were waiting for the
arrival of The Christ Child welcomed him with anticipation and excitement.

Isaiah. 9:6
For unto us a Child is born  Unto us a Son is given;
       And the government will be upon His shoulder.
       And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
       Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace .

What jumped out to me is that the government will be upon his shoulder, not
shoulders, as I always thought that verse said.  Many times in the music at
this time of year, the word shoulders is used.  So, the government of the
whole world, will, then, rest on only one of his shoulders, not both.  We've
an expression that says, referring to someone sometimes in a joking way, but
sometimes seriously, "he's got broad shoulders, he can take it."  World
government would be enough to rest on broad shoulders, but yet it will rest
on only one of his shoulders.  Wonder if His loved ones will rest on the
other.  I've been brief here.  Maybe someone else will have additional
thoughts to express.

Blessings,
Vicki