ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2005 12:46:12 -0600
Kathy,

I probably agree, as a social conservative, and at times, almost a
libertarian on some issues, with Doctor Laura but first of all, she isn't a
born again Christian.  I hate her bedside manners most of the time and the
little compassion she shows to truly hurting people.  I admit, I've heard a
lot of dumb people calling in for the dumbest advice, but that is beside the
point.  I nearly beat my radio to death one day when I heard a man call in
and how she treated him.  He was married but was afraid he was having
homosexual tendencies.  She basically told him to grow up and literally hung
up on him.  She has a bee up her bonnet over homosexuals or something.  In
the two minutes you get with her, I suppose you get what you pay for but I
wouldn't go for counseling from her if you paid me.  I still like some of
her principles but as you have discovered, she basically believes that all
of us can pull ourselves up, think happy thoughts, practice good morals, and
depression from abuse, molestation, rape, and other mind and emotional based
trauma and everything else will go away.  No it won't.

I love Spurgeon but Muler and Charles Finney are two of my very favorites.
Yes, they all experienced depression at different times of their ministry.
So did King David and god said David was His friend.  Jesus told me the same
thing one day in a prayer session.  Yes, I already knew we were friends but
when Jesus Himself tells you that in a prayer session and the pain of the
memory vanishes and never comes back, suddenly the Bible comes alive to you
in ways you never knew were possible.

Phil.