C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
greta von der luft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:28:23 -0500
Tracie,
I am definitely not a neurologist. I wrote a research paper about five to ten years ago about head ultra sounds (HUS) and head MRI (HMRI). Moreover, I am studying to get a PhD in Physical therapy not neurology. With that being said; What I remember is....

 There is a "newly" recognized problem in many kids with disabilities with the use of HMRI and HUS. This is noticing the different amounts of myelin around the nerves in the brain in children with and without disabilities. Myelin is a covering that surrounds the nerves in the brain, spinal cord and nerves to all the muscles in the body. If the nerves do not have this covering, then it makes it very difficult for the nerves to communicate with other nerves or with the rest of the body.  If there is less myelin found using HMRI and HUS, then some researchers are beginning to question whether this can be an indication of the severity of delayed motor skill development or delayed cognitive development. However, this questioning is very NEW. More importantly, there are no reliability and validity studies done on the use of HMRI and HUS. This means that three different radiologists may read the HMRI and the  HUS differently and those same radiologist may disagree in what portion of the brain or what structure of the brain has decreased myelination. So basically, I would encourage you to say to your son's doctor so what? This means what? Take what the doctor says with a small amount of respect or credence, but really focus on how your son is doing at home, in school and in therapy. What approaches work, what doesn't work and go from there in terms of helping your son grow, develop and learn. The HUS and HMRI results right now do not mean much when it come down to understanding decreased myelination and what it means.

Did my explanation make sense to you? If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them. Perhaps, Bobby's answer was better than mine....

Fortunately or Unfortunately, I did not write a paper about microcephaly so I will leave that topic alone except I know microcephaly means small brain....

Hope I helped some,
Greta