From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:30:32 -0600
        We just got a bus service here in Stillwater, Oklahoma that
primarily serves the OSU campus, several large living areas such as
dorms and apartment houses and goes to places like Wallmarct, etc.
They use good old VHF radio in the high band but I don't think I would
learn a single useful thing that would help me use the busses more
effectively.  On their radios, they chatter all day long but most of
it is related to vehicles needing repair or drivers running a little
late or other problems that are very important, but don't help one
figure out if the right bus is coming by.

        They have a series of color-coded routes such as the Orange
route or the Purple route which defines where a given bus goes, but
listening to their radios is only kind of interesting at times, not
useful.

        What we need is a transponder or short-range beacon connected
to the sine board that each bus displays indicating which colored
route it is running that day.  The data on the beacon would
automatically change if the driver changed the sine so he or she
wouldn't have to remember to make sure the beacon was in sync with the
sine.

        That would make the system quite useful for people who are
blind at least avoiding the problem of having to stick one's head in
the door and ask, "Is this the Green Route?"

        As far as the radios go, there is nada as far as useful
information.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Information Technology Division Network Operations Group