From:
MJ Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MJ Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 22:25:54 -0400

I received this today in response to a query about Kashi Cranberry
Sunshine cereal.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding Kashi products that do not
contain gluten. We commend you for taking part in your health!

Our Kashi Shake Powder Mixes are gluten free. They come in chocolate &
vanilla flavor.

The only cereal that we have that is not made using wheat is Organic
Promise Cranberry Sunshine. We use a special variety of corn in Cranberry
Sunshine called Waxy Corn.  It is not the same kind of Dent Corn that is
commonly ground into flour or meal to make other corn flake cereals.  In
addition, each corn flake in Cranberry Sunshine is a whole kernel of waxy
corn that's been rolled and toasted.

In order to accurately provide information to our consumers, we went
directly to the growers of our corn to answer the gluten question
specifically.  According to them, whole waxy corn does contain some corn
gluten. In addition, Organic Promise Cranberry Sunshine is produced on a
line with other products that do contain wheat; which does contain gluten.

Most people that have a sensitivity to wheat gluten, have found that they
can tolerate corn gluten. It is best to check with your healthcare
provider to get information that is best for your unique situation.

We hope this information helps you to decide whether or not this cereal is
appropriate for your diet.

Best of health,

Kelly Healy, RD
Consumer Relations

--
 MJ Thomas
 In the beautiful Finger Lakes Wine Country of New York State!