From:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 08:45:11 -0500

I am finally getting this summary together.  Thank you to all for your help.
Ginny Mingolla

I, of course, recommend Dangerous Grains. :-)

Best Wishes,
Ron Hoggan, Ed. D.
co-author of Dangerous Grains
ISBN: 1-58333-129-8      http://www.dangerousgrains.com
 http://www.gluten-free.org/hoggan
http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.asp?ID=425
http://www.betterhealthusa.com/public/320.cfm
http://www.health-n-energy.com/ARTICLES/9artleakygutart.htm
http://home.tampabay.rr.com/lymecfs/leakygut.html
I just got done with a bout of leaky gut.  I found a really good book about
Digestiveissues, which dedicates a chapter to it--it's called Digestive
Wellness by Elizabeth  Lipski, published by Keats.  Very helpful.

My path back from this problem was solved more or less in one month.  The first time I had it I didn't know what to do, and it took much longer.

This time, I started taking Vitamin C powder in water, large doses, like 1 -
2000 mg at once.  I added in L-Glutamine powder (from the vitamin store),
about 750 - 1000 mg several times per day.   Glutamine is a great amino acid that soothes the gut, and acts as a good healing protein.   It really is
remarkable how well it works.Also a multivitamin, and a supplement of
Magnesium to keep the guts moving along ( my biggest problem now id
constipation).

I am also using kefir for my probiotics--the good intestinal flora and fauna
need to be rebuilt, and using probiotics is a great way to do it.  You can
also use probiotics off the shelf from the store--but evidently this kefir
thing is far more potent for balancing the bugs.

Lots of water--and a good optimistic attitude are important, too.

Avoid all the bad stuff--I got into trouble at Christmas because there was
too much stress around me, and I was indulging too much in sinful stuff like
chocolate, coffee, wine and sugar.  I stopped all of that and started eating
more fresh veggies and friuits again.  Try not to eat too much sugar, that
is key--it can throw off the balance of bacteria in the gut, and allow the
gut to leak.